5 Little Things You Can Do to Motivate Employees
When you start a business, you do so with a dream. Maybe you have a vision of the type of company you want to set up. Maybe you’re passionate about something and are translating your passion into entrepreneurship. But what happens once the company has been set up? How do you deal with the day-to-day issues that crop up? How do you motivate employees to keep going? Here are a few tips:
- Communication: This is the single most important thing that can help employees to keep going. Encourage them to speak to you about any problems they are having so that the two of you can come up with solutions together.
- Open Floor Plan: When employees work in closed offices and cubicles, they might end up feeling a little closed off from the team. Nowadays, you can get cubicles with only two or three sides or benching systems which allow everyone to be in contact with each other. If employees have an office, encourage them to keep the door open.
- Praise: Nothing encourages a person to keep going as much as praise. That said, praise is not going to be that much use if you’re following it up with criticism. Criticize only when needed but praise as much as you can for greater productivity.
- Flexibility: Everyone appreciates a little flexibility at work. If, for some reason, an employee can’t make it to work before 9:30 but is willing to stay until 5:30, why not let them? If they can work from home without a loss of productivity, let them do so on one or two days of the week. Try to be flexible to the needs of your employees and they’ll reward you by doing their best.
- Company Culture: A good company culture is really necessary if you want your employees to be happy and productive. This means open communication between everyone, a feeling of camaraderie, and celebrating the victories. Make sure your employees know that you appreciate them.
If you want to be known as the kind of place that people love to work at, you need to set up the type of company culture which makes your employees feel heard and appreciated. This will result in greater productivity and less turnover which means that you have a greater chance of fulfilling the dream you started out with.
If you are finding value in these blog articles, please check out our community of small to medium size accounting/bookkeeping firms. Our set of systems can truly turn your business around and reduce the stress load you carry. For more information, please go to www.getoffthewheel.com or https://www.facebook.com/getoffthewheel/